In a recent LinkedIn post regarding "Name Tents,” one contributor suggested using a Fortune Cookie Introduction to learn participant names. I tried it recently and have actually combined it with a Fortune Cookie Review that I created as an end-of-course activity. It worked so well that I'd like to share the steps with you.
1. Create a Fortune Name Tent
Each participant is given a blank name tent and a fortune cookie. You can buy individually wrapped fortune cookies at a grocery store or at your favorite Chinese take-out restaurant.
Ask each participant to do the following:
- Write his/her first name on each outside panel of the name tent.
- Open the fortune cookie.
- Write the fortune on one of the inside panels of the name tent.
You may consider creating a sample in advance. This will allow you to show your participants what the finished name tent would look like.
2. Conduct Introductions
Ask for volunteers to introduce themselves. Have each participant:
- State his/her name.
- Describe his/her industry background and experience.
- Read the fortune written on the inside of the name tent.
You may consider sharing your introduction first to model this process.
3. Facilitate Fortune Review
Near the end of the course, as a final review, ask each participant to do the following:
- Reread the fortune written inside the name tent.
- Consider how that fortune applies to something learned during the course.
- Write a sentence or two on the blank inside panel to describe that "something learned."
- Prepare to describe how what has been learned will help that fortune become reality.
- Invite each participant to share how his/her fortune will become reality. You may consider sharing yours when you provide the instructions; this way, participants are clear about your expectations.
For a variation of this review method, and 24 other creative techniques, I encourage you to enroll in Langevin's e-learning module entitled 25 Creative Ways to Add Excitement to Your Training.
To learn more about facilitating reviews based on group size, check out one of my past blog posts!